Prior to entering the tertiary sector, Robyn enjoyed over 20 years as a Primary teacher both in Australia and internationally. Her roles included: Head of Pastoral care; Head of Literacy; specialist teacher of Music and Physical Education, and generalist Primary teacher from P-7 in a variety of private, public, Catholic, Anglican and Jewish schools. Robyn’s passion for early childhood education and literacy led to the publishing of her own children’s picture book. She continues to inspire students through her performance of the story and author visits to schools.
Her passion for beginning teachers is the driving force behind her PhD studies titled ‘Teachers in transition: a bioecological perspective on the development of beginning teachers’ professional identities through Quality Teaching Rounds’, for which she was privileged to receive a scholarship from the University of Newcastle. Her expertise in research is enriched through her role as a research assistant for the University, assisting with the implementation of a nation-wide professional development model for teachers.
Robyn is the Branch Support Officer for the Australian Council of Educational Leaders and a trained assessor for Initial Teacher Education Programs for the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership.
- Doctor of Philosophy (candidate), 2020
- Master of Education (Charles Sturt University, 2000)
- Bachelor of Arts, Diploma of Education (Macquarie University, 1993)
- Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (Charles Sturt University, 2003)
- Initial Teacher Education
- Quality Teaching Rounds as a professional development tool
- Beginning teachers
- Qld Branch Support Officer, Australian Council of Educational Leaders
- Head of Pastoral Care and Literacy, Australian International School, Singapore
- Primary Teacher – Melbourne, California, London, Singapore
- Children’s Author and Writing workshop facilitator
Books and Book Chapters
Press, R. (2019). Student Feedback-Informed, Validated Education. In: Leal Filho W., Azul A., Brandli L., Özuyar P., Wall T. (Eds). Quality Education. Encyclopaedia of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-69902-8
Jackson, D. & Press, R. (2012, October). Maximizing Digital Literacy in Library contexts. Presented at the Australian International School, Hands on Literacy Conference, Singapore.
Press, R. (2015). Goldilocks. Frenchs Forest, Australia: Little Steps Publishing.
CR111, CR184, CR220, ES113, ES242, ES246, ES611, ES612
- 2016-2020: First Year Coordinator
- 2017- 2018: Research Committee
- 2017-2018: Research Ethics Committee
- 2017- 2019: Chair – Student Retention Committee
Professional Memberships and Associations
- Member of the Australian Council of Educational Leaders
- Registered Teacher, Queensland College of Teachers
- Accredited panellist – Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership – Initial Teacher Education accreditation – Stage 2